Causes of Vaginal Atrophy and Dryness
The skin and tissues around the vagina are kept moist and supple by fluids and mucus that are made in glands located in the neck of the womb. The female hormone estrogen helps keep vaginal tissue healthy by maintaining normal vaginal lubrication, tissue elasticity and acidity.
The condition often occurs as a result of the reduced levels of estrogen produced in the body, resulting in thinner, drier and less elastic vaginal tissue and loss of fatty tissues from around the genital area.
Some causes include the following:
- Age: It is common to suffer from such conditions as the body naturally ages.
- Undergoing a hysterectomy
- Side effects of certain medications such as anti-depressants, allergy and cold medications.
- Having an underlying medical condition such as diabetes or Sjogren’s syndrome
- Radiation from treatments for cancer
Women can also suffer from dryness by the following:
- Using excessive perfumed products around the genital area
- Are not mentally or physically aroused during sex