Many individuals who have achieved significant weight loss through diet and exercise, bariatric surgery, or a combination of both often experience excess skin in areas such as the abdomen and thighs. This occurs due to permanent damage to the elasticity of the skin tissues. Body lift procedures offer a solution by removing excess fat and sagging skin, enhancing the contour of the underlying tissues. Novomed Plastic Surgery Hospital in Abu Dhabi boasts a team of board-certified plastic surgeons who specialize in body lift surgery, ensuring exceptional outcomes.
Benefits of Body Lift Surgery
Body lift surgery provides several advantages, including:
- Improved confidence and self-esteem
- Enhanced physical appearance
- Increased motivation and ability for weight loss
- A tighter, firmer, and more contoured physique
- Suitable Candidates for Body Lift Surgery
To achieve successful results, it is crucial that your weight has stabilized for at least a year and that you are in good health with no medical conditions that could impede the healing process. It is generally recommended to maintain a balanced diet and quit smoking for at least six weeks before the procedure. Pregnancy or significant weight changes can diminish the overall effectiveness of a body lift, so it is advisable to postpone the surgery if you have plans for pregnancy or unstable weight.
Preparation for Body Lift Surgery
Before the procedure, your surgeon will review your medical history, drug allergies, current medications, and alcohol and tobacco usage. A physical examination will be performed to assess your overall health, identify any existing medical disorders or risk factors, and discuss the recommended course of action and expected results.
During Body Lift Surgery
Body lift procedures involve various types of surgeries, depending on the body parts that require treatment. General anesthesia is commonly used, although local anesthesia combined with sedation may be employed in specific cases. The choice of anesthesia will be determined by your doctor based on what is most suitable for you.
The length and pattern of the incision are determined by the amount and location of the excess skin that needs to be removed. Commonly treated body parts include:
- Abdomen (tummy tuck): Excess skin is removed, and underlying abdominal muscles are tightened. Overhanging skin and tissues beneath the belly button are excised through an incision created above the pubic region, promoting abdominal muscle tightening.
- Buttocks and upper thighs: Excess skin is removed to sculpt the buttocks and upper thighs. This procedure can be performed simultaneously with a tummy tuck.
- Thighs (medial thigh lift): Excess skin is removed through an incision made along the inner thigh.
- Breasts (breast reduction or breast lift): Excess breast skin is removed by making an incision vertically down the middle of the breast or underneath it.
- Arms (brachioplasty): Excess skin is removed from the arms, starting at the armpit and extending to the elbow.
- Face and neck (facelift): Excess skin is removed by making an incision that starts at the hairline and extends to the lower scalp.
Multiple procedures can be performed simultaneously if deemed safe by your surgeon. A lower body lift targets the hips, thighs, abdomen, and buttocks, while an upper body lift combines procedures for the arms, back, and breasts.
Recovery after Body Lift Surgery
Following the surgery, your incisions will be dressed and bandaged, and a thin drainage tube may be inserted under your skin to facilitate the draining of excess blood. It may be necessary to limit your daily activities until you have fully recovered. Specific exercises, such as heavy lifting, should be avoided, while walking is encouraged.
Body lift surgery offers immediate noticeable benefits, although the full extent of the results may take several months to become apparent, depending on your specific requirements. While there will be some scarring, the overall outcomes are long-lasting as long as you maintain a stable weight and prioritize your health.
Book your appointment at Novomed today!
To learn more about this procedure and schedule an appointment with one of our expert plastic surgeons in Abu Dhabi , you can call us toll-free at 800 (NOVO) 6686, or simply use the live chat button at the bottom of the page.