How do Dark Spots Develop?
Dark spots, otherwise classified as hyperpigmentation, develop when there is an overproduction of melanin (the substance that the skin gets its color from) in the skin which occurs due to melanocytes. These are neural crest-derived cells that produce melanin and are found in the bottom layer of the epidermis in one’s skin. It can develop at any point in time, but most often, it appears in middle-aged people. The areas that it is usually spotted include the face, back of the hands, shoulders, arms, and back.
According to the American Academy of Dermatology Association, individuals who have medium to dark skin tones are more prone to develop hyperpigmentation and patches because their skin; is prompted by something to produce extra melanin.
The extra melanin in the skin can start to develop because of several reasons, such as:
- Excessive exposure to the sun or artificial UV lights used in tanning beds.
- When a patch of psoriasis or a pimple clears out.
- Changes in the level of hormones in your body like estrogen and progesterone.
- After any wounds/injuries heal – including and not limited to insect bites or burns.
- Upon taking or applying certain types of medication.
- Daily skincare or hair products that cause some form of irritation to your skin.
- Aging can cause the size of the melanocytes to increase.
- The aftermath of acne, liver disease, Addison’s disease, Hemochromatosis (excessive iron), and Pituitary tumors.
- Waxing or through the use of rough scrubs.
Are They Permanent?
As a first step, the root cause should be treated which in turn will help stop any further breakouts. This will eliminate the factor that was triggering the discoloration. Then, as time passes, the spots will begin to fade by themselves. However, the fading process can take time. The estimated time frame for spots that are a couple of shades darker compared to your natural skin tone tends to fade between 6 to 12 months.
On the other hand, if the discoloration is deeply embedded in your skin, then it can take years for it to fade. The color is usually noticeable as it is either a particular shade of grey, blue or dark brown.
Therefore, treatment is highly encouraged by Novomed’s team of skin experts, as it can speed up the time frame of the fading process.
When you are living in Dubai or any other city located in the U.A.E. – it means that sunscreen is vital and should be used regularly to help prevent any further darkening of the spots.
There are plenty of treatment options to help get rid of discoloration permanently. Our highly experienced team of dermatologists recommend the following types of treatment:
Chemical peels are used to help get rid of any damaged skin cells. It also helps promote younger-looking skin. It is an effective form of treatment for age spots on the hands. The skin also heals at a faster rate after the use of a chemical peel.
– Microdermabrasion is used to exfoliate the skin and remove imperfections such as discoloration and leave your skin looking rejuvenated and toned evenly. It is categorized as a lower-risk option and known to be minimally invasive. Also, new collagen production is promoted during this treatment.
– Laser skin resurfacing is a treatment that uses various types of lasers to eliminate the dead skin while encouraging the growth of new cells in the deeper layers of your skin. A form of concentrated light energy is used to burn the spots off. At Novomed, we hold transparency in the highest regard, therefore we do think it is worth noting that there are a couple of risks involved in the procedure. Such as redness, bruising, swelling, tightness, etc. It is best to consult with your dermatologist before undergoing the treatment so that they can advise you about the recovery period and assist you accordingly.
The differences between Venus Viva and Clear and Brilliant
with Nano Fractional Radio Frequency to give patients an even skin tone and smooth outlook. The energy that is emitted from the device supplies an equal amount of heat to multiple layers of the tissue and this helps the body to produce new collagen. This is done without causing any damage to the surrounding area.
Additionally, the Venus Viva system allows your dermatologist to adjust the intensity level so that the treatment is suited to your skincare requirements. The device also helps to increase your blood circulation which gives patients a rejuvenated and youthful glow. Some of the other plus points of this procedure include:
– Non-surgical and non-invasive.
– Minimal discomfort.
– Minimal recovery time.
– Classified as effective and safe for all skin types.
– Instant and long-lasting results.
Depending on your condition, the treatment can be carried out over one session or even up to four sessions to have the best results possible. There is a chance that redness in the skin might occur for the duration of a few days post-treatment. However, it usually tends to subside and go away by itself.
Another viable option is Clear and Brilliant which is one of the latest treatments used to help treat discoloration in skin due to aging as well as the texture and skin tone. The device consists of a non-ablative laser that exerts laser energy to the patient’s underlying layers of skin.
The estimated treatment time takes around 20 minutes and the recovery period tends to be very short/not required at all. This means you can go about your schedule as always without any disruptions.
The results of the treatment which include a softer feel of skin, smoother and tighter appearance with a revitalized glow are usually seen a short while after the procedure. However, the dermatologist will suggest the number of sessions required to achieve the optimal result.
When comparing Clear and Brilliant to other laser skin treatments such as Venus Viva, it is worth remembering that it does not promote redness or dry skin after the treatment phase. However, you may experience a little amount of discomfort while the treatment is ongoing – but it would only be temporary and mild. Results will vary from individual to individual. Venus Viva tends to have a slightly longer recovery time compared to Clear and Brilliant.
The Benefits of Skin Treatments
Our skin is always protecting us from all sorts of infections and it helps us stay healthy and well. This is why it is so important to take care of our skin so that we can help prevent any future skin-related issues, like further discoloration or skin cancer. We can look forward to having rejuvenated, healthy, and youthful-looking skin when we decide to opt for the right skin treatment. The benefits of skin treatments also extend to our social life and help boost our self-esteem and confidence. When you feel and look good, it helps promote a more positive mindset and a happier outlook on life.
At Novomed, we treat numerous types of skin conditions in Dubai, Abu Dhabi and Al Ain, and we only use the latest technology to help people address their skincare needs. To book an appointment with one of our dermatologists, call us on 800 6686633 or get in touch with us online.
The Fotona Q switch is one of the most modern devices to get rid of pigmentation and acne scars, as it directs a group of laser beams to the treated site with the aim of reducing skin impurities…. Read More