Dark circles may not be a serious health problem, but they make people look tired and older than they are. This condition is common in men and women. It is characterized by dark circles and bags under the eyes and is often due to fatigue, eye strain, and lack of sleep, but it can also occur because of other reasons, such as allergies or aging.
What causes dark circles?
- Fatigue. Sleep deprivation or poor sleeping habits can cause dark circles to appear under your eyes. Moreover, this causes the skin to become pale and dull, which allows dark tissues and blood vessels under the surface layer of your skin to show.
- Eye strain. Working in front of your computer for long hours or staring at your TV or mobile phone can cause the skin surrounding your eyes to darken.
- Dehydration. If you do not drink enough water every day, the skin under your eyes will start to look pale and dull, and your eyes will appear sunken.
- Sun exposure. Sun exposure can stimulate the production of melanin in your body. The excessive production of this pigment can cause the skin around your eyes to darken.
- Genetic predisposition. Your genes play a role in developing dark circles. In some cases, dark circles can be an inherited skin condition that appears since childhood and worsens with age.
- Poor circulation. If blood vessels beneath your eyes are dilated, they can become visible and give the appearance of dark circles.
- Aging. The natural aging process can cause the appearance of dark circles under your eyes. As you age, your skin becomes thinner because of losing fat and weak collagen production, which causes the dark tissues and blood vessels under your eyes to become more visible, resulting in dark areas under your eyes.
- Allergy. Some types of allergy, such as hay fever, can cause eye redness and skin itching, and dryness around the eyes. Scratching the itchy skin around your eyes can cause inflammation, swelling, and broken blood vessels and result in dark circles beneath your eyes.
How to treat dark circles?
At Novomed, we offer effective solutions that suit all skin types to reduce the appearance of dark circles. Our treatments include:
- Chemical peels. Our professional dermatologist can use safe chemicals, such as glycolic acid and salicylic acid, to reduce pigmentation and lighten the dark areas under your eyes.
- Fillers. A dermal filler can be injected into the tissue under the eyes to reduce facial volume loss and conceal blood vessels and pigments causing dark areas and discoloration under your eyes.
- Mesotherapy. This is one of the most effective and safe treatments for dark circles. A combination of drugs, minerals, and supplements is injected under your eyes to reduce the appearance of dark circles and bags. Multiple sessions may be needed to get the desired result.
- Laser therapy. In this treatment, heat energy is used to target and vaporize the damaged cells and dark pigments under your eyes and stimulate the production of new collagen.
- Blepharoplasty. This surgical procedure involves removing fat deposits from the lower eyelid to decrease the shadow cast by the eyelid and decrease the appearance of dark circles.
- Skin tightening. Non-invasive procedures, such as Thermage or Ultherapy, can be used to treat the dark circles under the eyes and provide a natural lift.
At Novomed, safe and effective treatment for dark circles begins with a consultation. During the consultation, our dermatologist will examine your skin and determine the cause of your condition. After the consultation, our dermatologist will create a treatment plan tailored to your needs. In creating this plan, your dermatologist will consider many things, including your skin type and skin tone.
Book your appointment at Novomed today!
To schedule a consultation with one of our expert beauticians in Dubai, call us toll-free at 8006686, fill-out the booking form, or click the live chat icon at the bottom of the screen.