Dermabrasion is a skin resurfacing technique in which a dermatologist uses a revolving abrasive device to remove the outer layers of skin to improve the appearance of skin.
Dermabrasion can reduce the appearance of fine facial lines and improve the appearance of many skin imperfections, including acne scars, surgical scars, age spots and wrinkles.
What are the benefits of dermabrasion facial?
Dermabrasion can be used to treat or remove:
- Scars resulting from acne, surgeries, and injuries.
- Fine wrinkles, especially around the mouth
- Sun-damaged skin, freckles, dark patches, and age spots
- Precancerous skin patches
Am I a suitable candidate for this treatment?
Before dermabrasion, your doctor will likely:
- Review your medical history and ask you about the medications you’re taking or have taken recently, as well as any cosmetic procedures you’ve had.
- Perform a physical examination of the area to be treated to determine what changes can be made and how physical features, such as skin color and thickness, might affect the results.
- Discuss your expectations and talk to you about what can be achieved and the potential risks.
How much does dermabrasion cost?
The doctor will determine the cost of dermabrasion based on your condition and the area that requires treatment.
How to prepare for a dermabrasion facial?
Dermabrasion is usually performed in the operating room of the clinic or on an outpatient basis. On the day of the procedure, wash your face and avoid applying any cosmetics or creams on your face. Wear clothing that you do not have to pull over your head a bandage will be applied to your face after the procedure is completed.
Our medical team will give you an anesthetic or a sedative to reduce sensation.
How does dermabrasion facial work?
During the procedure, your doctor uses a small, motorized device and passes it over the skin while applying gentle, continuous pressure. The device comes with a roller or scraping brush at its tip to remove the outer layers of skin.
Dermabrasion can take from a few minutes to over an hour, depending on the area of skin being treated. If you have deep skin scarring or if there is a large area of skin to be treated, you may undergo dermabrasion more than once or in stages.
After dermabrasion, the treated skin is covered with a moist pad to improve the recovery process. You will receive self-care instructions to follow at home and a prescription for pain medication.
You will need to make a follow-up appointment for an examination soon after treatment so your doctor can examine the skin and change the dressing.
Your doctor will tell you when to start regular cleaning of the treated area and applying protective ointments. Self-care instructions will vary depending on the scope of the procedure.
What to expect during recovery?
- The treated skin will become red and swollen.
- You will likely feel a burning sensation, tingling, or pain.
- A crust or rough layer will form over the treated skin as it begins to heal.
- The skin that grows may be itchy.
To relieve pain after the procedure, your doctor may prescribe pain relievers or recommend an over-the-counter pain reliever, such as aspirin or ibuprofen.
You will be able to return to work and resume your usual activities within two weeks.
When can I see the results of dermabrasion?
It may take up to three months to recover. After that, you will see and feel smoother, clearer and more rejuvenated skin with a better tone.
The results of dermabrasion are permanent but having a skincare routine is essential to maintain them.
Book your appointment at Novomed today!
To book a consultation with one of our expert dermatologists in Dubai, call us at 8006686, fill out the booking form or click the live chat icon at the bottom of the screen.