Liposuction, also known as fat removal surgery or liposculpture, is a cosmetic procedure that removes excess, stubborn fat from specific body areas to achieve a more defined and contoured appearance. Men and women can both have it done on many body parts, including:
- Upper arms
- Outer and inner thighs
- Hips or flanks (love handles)
- Chin, neck, and cheeks
Liposuction removes stubborn fat that does not disappear with dieting and exercise, although it is neither a weight-loss procedure nor a substitute for dieting. Stretch marks cannot be removed by liposuction, and it does not alter the appearance of cellulite dimpling or other skin surface abnormalities. Liposuction is frequently combined with other surgical procedures such as neck lifts, facelifts, breast reductions, and tummy tucks.
You will benefit from the expertise of the plastic surgeons at the Novomed Clinic in Abu Dhabi offer various liposuction techniques to help you get the best results.
Am I a suitable candidate for the procedure?
You may be a suitable candidate for liposuction if you are close to your ideal weight, in good overall health, and dedicated to leading a healthy lifestyle.
What to expect before the procedure?
At Novomed, your journey begins with a consultation with one of our highly skilled plastic surgeons to discuss your surgical goals, alternatives, risks, benefits, and the surgery cost. Your doctor will check your overall health and any pre-existing medical conditions, take pictures, and discuss the expected results of liposuction.
Any allergies you may have or any medications you are taking should be disclosed to your plastic surgeon. A few weeks before surgery, they will ask you to stop taking some medicines, such as blood thinners. Following your consultation, our patient coordinator will provide you with comprehensive instructions on what has to be done to get ready for the procedure.
What are the different techniques of liposuction?
Before your procedure, the doctor will go over the different liposuction techniques with you and give you a recommendation depending on your desired outcomes.
There are various forms of liposuction, such as:
- Tumescent liposuction: Your fatty areas are injected with a saline (salt water) solution. The solution includes medications such as blood vessel-contracting epinephrine. This treatment reduces blood loss and makes it easier for the surgeon to remove fat.
- Ultrasound-assisted liposuction (UAL): Your surgeon will liquefy your fat using ultrasonic energy delivered through a metal rod inserted beneath your skin.
- Vibration Amplification of Sound Energy at Resonance (VASER): With the help of ultrasonic waves and a stainless-steel tool (cannula) with grooves, VASER liposuction makes it simple to break up and remove fat cells and other body fat from your body.
- Power-assisted liposuction (PAL): A small stainless-steel tool (cannula) is used in power-assisted liposuction to move back and forth over your fat to break it up. Your surgeon’s job is made simpler and the process is more precise thanks to the cannula.
- Laser-assisted liposuction: Your doctor will liquefy and break down your fat using a short, flexible tube to make removal easier. The method for laser-assisted liposuction requires only a minor skin incision.
- Suction-assisted liposuction: This method of liposuction removes fat from your body by using a vacuum.
What to expect during the procedure?
Liposuction is carried out in the hospital as a one-day procedure or, in some circumstances, with a one-night stay. Depending on the treatment area and the amount of fat that needs to be removed, it takes one to two hours to complete and is done under general anesthesia or local anesthesia with sedation.
The surgeon makes a few small incisions in your skin as the anesthetic begins to take effect. They will insert a thin tube (cannula) to break up the fat cells beneath the skin (using high-frequency vibration, laser pulse, or water jet) and remove them with a special vacuum or suction device. The surgeon will move the suction tube around your body to break up and remove fat in the treatment area. The surgeon will then close the incision with stitches, and the area will be bandaged and placed in a garment to help reduce swelling.
You will be sent to the recovery room after the procedure so that your vital signs can be monitored. When you are prepared to return home, the medical team will give you a thorough aftercare plan to aid in your recovery.
What to expect during recovery following liposuction?
Due to the anesthesia, you may feel a bit tired, and there might be some bruising or swelling in the area. The doctor will prescribe some medications to help manage your discomfort and request that you wear a support garment for two to six weeks following surgery.
Depending on the extent of your procedure, you may need to take a few weeks off work and refrain from heavy activities for a few weeks. The doctor will remove the stitches five to ten days later. Once the swelling and bruises go down, you will see a difference in the shape of your body, but it could take up to six months to see the complete outcome.
How long does the liposuction result last?
During liposuction surgery, fat cells are permanently eliminated from the treated area to give the body a more defined contour. If you maintain a healthy lifestyle, which includes a balanced diet and frequent exercise, the benefits are permanent because the excess fat will not grow back once it has been removed.
Book your appointment at Novomed today!
Our plastic surgeons at Novomed have a long experience performing liposuction procedures, and they will ensure providing you with treatment options that will help you get the body shape you desire.
Call us toll-free at 800 (NOVO) 6686 to schedule a consultation with one of our plastic surgeons, or use the live chat button at the bottom of the page.