Areola reduction is a cosmetic surgical procedure that involves reducing the size and/or changing the shape of the areola, which is the area located around the nipples. The average diameter of the areola is 4.7cm, but this may vary depending on the individual’s gender, height and breasts size.
Women whose areolas are too large often feel concerned about the look of their breasts. The areola may also appear too domed or more oval than circular. Surgery can help reduce the areola to average size, which can help improve body image and self-esteem.
Areola reduction surgery is performed as one-day surgery under local anesthesia, so you will be able to go home once the effect of the anesthesia has worn off.
What are the benefits of areola reduction surgery?
This procedure helps correct the abnormalities that affect the shape and size of the areolas, including:
- Large areolas. As we mentioned earlier, the areola size can vary depending on several factors, such as gender and height. Areola reduction will help reduce large areolas, so they look more proportional to the breasts.
- Oval areolas (non-rounded areolas). Areola reduction can help correct the shape of the areola and make it more circular.
- Domed areolas. When the breast tissue pushes on the areola, it can make it look raised or domed. Areola reduction can help remove the excess breast tissue and reduce the size of the areola.
- Other abnormalities. An example of these abnormalities is the appearance of nodules on the surface of the areolas. These can be removed with areola reduction surgery.
Am I a suitable candidate for this surgery?
The following criteria should be met so you qualify for this surgery:
- You should be above the age of 18.
- You should be in good health and free of any medical conditions that may affect the surgery or its outcome.
- You should have realistic expectations about what can be achieved with the surgery.
- You should refrain from smoking so healing can be faster.
How to prepare for the surgery?
During your consultation, the surgeon will perform a physical examination followed by a discussion on the range of viable treatment options depending on the size of the areola. It is important to tell your surgeon about any medical conditions you may have and the medications you are taking, if any. The procedure will be described in detail step by step to give you a clear idea of what to expect during the procedure. Your surgeon will assess your expectations for the surgery and determine if it is right for you.
The surgeon may ask you to stop smoking because smoking has a detrimental effect on wound healing and to stop medications that interfere with blood clotting; This includes aspirin and medicines that contain aspirin. Areola reduction is ideally suited for a local anesthetic procedure although the choice of anesthetic is up to you based on how stressed you are and whether the surgery will be combined with other procedures to reduce the areola.
What happens during the surgery?
During the surgery, you will not feel any pain or discomfort since it is performed under local or general anesthetic. After the anesthetic takes complete effect, the procedure goes as follows:
- The surgeon removes the outer area of the areola.
- Then they bring the surrounding skin inwards to be closer to the areola.
- After that, they use absorbable stitches within the areola to help reduce its diameter.
- The surgeon will also suture the deep tissue to help prevent any future widening of the areola and make sure it stays in the new smaller position.
After the surgery, you may feel some soreness for the next 24-48 hours, but you will be able to go back to your usual activities within the first week. During the recovery period, you may feel some pain or discomfort, but you can manage this by taking pain medications. Moreover, you should avoid strenuous activities until your surgeon allows you to ensure a full recovery.
Areola reduction will leave a small unnoticeable scar at the base of the nipple or a larger hidden scar around the edge of the areola.
Book your appointment at Novomed today!
To book a consultation with one of our expert plastic surgeons, call us at 8006686, fill out the booking form or click the live chat icon at the bottom of the screen. Our team will discuss your cosmetic goals and create a personalized plan that suits your needs to provide you with the best possible results.