Liposuction, also known as fat removal surgery or liposculpture, is a cosmetic procedure that removes unwanted fat from particular parts of the body using a suction technique, leaving a more defined and contoured shape. It can be performed on both men and women on different body areas, including:
- Upper arms
- Inner and outer thighs
- Flanks (love handles)
- Face, neck, and chin
Liposuction eliminates stubborn fat that usually doesn’t go away with dieting and exercising; however, it is not a weight-loss procedure or an alternative to dieting. Cellulite dimpling and other skin surface abnormalities are not improved with liposuction, and it cannot eliminate stretch marks.
Liposuction can be performed to complement other surgical procedures, such as neck lifts, gynecomastia, breast reductions, and tummy tucks, and it is considered the best technique to remove stubborn fat deposits in specific areas.
Am I a suitable candidate for liposuction?
Liposuction may be a good option for you if:
- You are close to your ideal weight
- You understand that liposuction is not a weight-loss procedure – it’s for removing stubborn pockets of fat
- You are in good general health
- You are committed to a healthy lifestyle
- You couldn’t achieve your ideal body shape and remove stubborn fat with dieting and exercising
- How to prepare for liposuction?
Fat cells are permanently removed from the treated area during liposuction surgery to create a more defined body shape. The excess fat will not grow back once it has been removed, which means that the results are permanent if you maintain a healthy lifestyle, including a balanced diet and regular exercising. Your fat distribution may vary if you gain weight following liposuction.
Types of liposuction at Novomed
At Novomed, we offer a range of advanced liposuction techniques tailored to meet diverse patient needs. Here are the types of liposuction we provide, along with their respective working principles, benefits, and treated areas:
- Vaser Liposuction: Vaser uses ultrasonic energy to selectively target and break down fat cells while preserving surrounding tissues. This technique allows for more precise contouring and minimal trauma, resulting in reduced downtime and smoother results. It can be applied to various areas, such as the abdomen, thighs, arms, and flanks.
- Laser Liposuction: Laser-assisted liposuction involves the use of laser energy to liquefy fat, making it easier to remove. This method also stimulates collagen production, leading to skin tightening and improved overall skin texture. It is commonly utilized for treating smaller areas like the neck, chin, and arms.
- Hi Def Liposuction: Hi Def liposuction is an advanced technique that targets specific muscle groups to create a more sculpted and athletic appearance. It is ideal for individuals seeking well-defined abs, chest, and other muscle contours.
- Aqualift Liposuction: Aqualift employs a tumescent solution containing local anesthesia and adrenaline to facilitate the removal of fat cells with reduced pain and bleeding. This technique is effective for treating larger areas and can be used on the abdomen, hips, thighs, and back.
- Lipo with J Plasma: J Plasma is a technology that combines cold helium plasma with liposuction. The cold plasma aids in tissue tightening, reducing sagging skin and improving overall skin quality. This technique is suitable for various body areas and can be particularly beneficial for patients with mild skin laxity.
- Classic Liposuction: Classic liposuction, also known as traditional liposuction or suction-assisted liposuction (SAL), involves the manual removal of fat using a suction device. Although not as precise as some newer techniques, it remains a reliable option for addressing larger areas like the abdomen, thighs, and buttocks.
Our team of experienced surgeons will assess your unique needs and recommend the most suitable liposuction technique to help you achieve the desired results safely and effectively.
Your journey at Novomed starts with a consultation with one of our expert plastic surgeons. The first step is to schedule an appointment to discuss your surgical goals, options, risks, benefits, and costs.
Your doctor will evaluate your general health status and any pre-existing health conditions or risk factors, take photos, and discuss likely outcomes of liposuction and any risks or complications.
You should inform your plastic surgeon about any allergies you have and any medications you’re taking. Several weeks before surgery, they will likely advise you to stop using certain medications, such as blood thinners and pain relievers.
After your consultation, our patient coordinator will provide you with detailed information on the preparations needed for the procedure.
What happens during the procedure?
- Liposuction is performed in the hospital as a one-day case or with a one-night stay in some cases. It takes one to two hours to complete and is performed under general anesthesia or local anesthesia with sedation, depending on the treatment area and the amount of fat that needs to be removed.
- During the procedure, the surgeon makes a small incision in the skin and inserts a thin, hollow tube (cannula) used to break up the fat cells beneath the skin (using high-frequency vibration, laser pulse, or water jet) and remove them with a special vacuum or suction device.
- The surgeon will move the suction tube back and forth to loosen and suck out fat in the treatment area.
- The surgeon will be close the incision with stitches at the end of the procedure, and the area will be bandaged and wrapped with a garment to provide support and help reduce swelling.
- After the surgery, you will be moved to the recovery room to monitor your vital signs and ensure that the procedure went well. Once you are ready to go home, the medical staff will provide you with a detailed aftercare plan to support your recovery.
Recovery and aftercare
You may feel a little drowsy because of the anesthesia, and it is common to have some bruising, swelling, and minor initial lumpiness to the area. The doctor will prescribe some medications to help control the pain and discomfort and ask you to wear a support garment for two to six weeks after surgery.
The doctor will remove the stitches five to ten days after the procedure, and you may need to take a couple of weeks of work and avoid strenuous activities, depending on the extent of your surgery.
You will notice a difference in your body contour once the swelling and bruising subside, but it may take up to six months to see the full result.
How long does the result of liposuction last?
Fat cells are permanently removed from the treated area during liposuction surgery to create a more defined body shape. The excess fat will not grow back once it has been removed, which means that the results are permanent if you maintain a healthy lifestyle, including a balanced diet and regular exercising.
Schedule an appointment today with one of our board-certified physicians
Our plastic surgeons at Novomed have carried out thousands of liposuction procedures and will ensure providing you with treatment options that help you achieve your ideal body shape.
To book a consultation with one of our plastic surgeons in Dubai, call us toll-free on 800 (NOVO) 6686 or click the live chat icon at the bottom of the screen.