At Novomed, we provide the best cosmetic nose surgery services, including rhinoplasty and septorhinoplasty, to improve your facial harmony and self-image. Our expert plastic surgeons are keen on maintaining the highest standard of care and offering personalized treatment plans tailored to the unique needs of every individual. We pride ourselves on our patient-centered approach that puts you and your needs first, allows you to understand and be a part of the process every step of your journey with us, and eventually provides you with a great result that puts a smile on your face.
What is rhinoplasty?
Rhinoplasty, also known as a nose job, is a cosmetic procedure to reshape the nose and achieve a more aesthetically balanced nose or correct a deformity (nasal deformity, bump, or crooked nose) that may be congenital or result from an injury.
Patients commonly opt for cosmetic rhinoplasty surgery to reduce the size of a large nose (a wide nose or a nasal hump); however, some patients have a nose that is too small for their features, so they opt for augmentation rhinoplasty.
Corrective rhinoplasty aims to reshape the nose following an injury, while a revision rhinoplasty corrects residual deformities from a prior failed rhinoplasty.
What are the benefits of rhinoplasty?
There are many reasons people choose rhinoplasty as it can address numerous concerns, from cosmetic issues to alleviating breathing difficulties. Some of the benefits include:
- Increase or decrease the size of the nose
- Reshape the nostrils
- Reduce the nasal tip
- Straighten the nose bridge
- Improve the balance and harmony of facial features
- Correct the problems related to a deviated septum
- Improve breathing
- Improve confidence and self-esteem
What are the types of rhinoplasty surgery?
There are different types of rhinoplasty surgeries. During your consultation, our plastic surgeon will advise which would be best for you, depending on your desired results. Some of the options include:
- Open Rhinoplasty. In this procedure, the surgeon makes an incision across the skin between the nostrils and peels the skin back to operate on the bone and cartilage and create the desired nose shape. The surgery leaves a fine scar that gradually fades.
- Closed Rhinoplasty. A closed rhinoplasty involves making tiny incisions inside the nostrils, leaving minimal, hidden scarring. Recovery after this procedure is faster than an open rhinoplasty; however, it is not suitable for all cases.
- Septorhinoplasty. This type of nose surgery straightens the nose to correct a deviated septum and improve the overall appearance of the nose.
- Ultrasonic rhinoplasty. This new approach in cosmetic nose surgery skillfully reshapes and contours the nose size, shape, and angle using sound waves. This method eliminates the need for rasps, hammers, and surgical chisels used in traditional rhinoplasty. As a result, ultrasonic rhinoplasty causes no damage to the surrounding tissue and provides a short recovery period.
- Rhinoplasty-Tip. In this nose surgery, the surgeon trims the cartilage to reduce the tip of the nose without visible scarring.
- Nostril Alteration. This surgery involves making tiny incisions hidden in the nostril crease to alter the nostril size or shape.
All the different types of nose surgery will be performed under a general anesthetic and will likely take around two hours. As explained above, rhinoplasty leaves minimal scarring, and recovery usually takes about twelve weeks.
What to expect before rhinoplasty surgery?
Your rhinoplasty journey at Novomed begins with a consultation with one of our expert plastic surgeons. During this consultation, the doctor will discuss your reason for undergoing nose reshaping surgery, the changes you want to make to your nose, and the lifestyle changes and preparations you will need to make before surgery. Moreover, they will ensure that you are physically and psychologically fit and healthy and have realistic expectations of what can be achieved with surgery.
The consultation will allow you and your surgeon to decide whether rhinoplasty is the right option for you and which procedure type will be best. Your surgeon will also answer all your questions about having a nose job.
What happens on the day of the surgery?
Our medical staff will ask you to arrive an hour before the surgery appointment to allow the nurses to record blood pressure and other vital signs and then meet with your anesthetist and surgeon to make the final preparations.
Rhinoplasty is a straightforward procedure performed under general anesthetic over the course of one and three hours. The surgeon makes the incision in a site that minimizes its scale and visibility and will close it with sutures once the procedure is complete.
Following the procedure, you will be taken to the recovery room, where you will stay between two to three hours until the effect of the anesthetic wears off. The doctor will place a splint over the bridge of your nose and may apply ice packs over your eyes to minimize post-surgery swelling and bruising. Once the doctor decides that it is safe for you to return home, you will be allowed to leave the clinic accompanied by a friend or member of your family.
What happens after surgery?
You should take at least one week off work, as you will be wearing a splint for up to ten days. You may experience some bleeding from the nostrils overnight and are likely to have some swelling and bruising below your eyes, especially if the surgery involved fracturing the nasal bones.
Our staff will schedule your follow-up appointment after surgery to ensure your incisions are healing properly.
The final result of the surgery will be noticeable after about a year when the swelling has subsided completely. Rhinoplasty results are permanent but note that your nose will change over the years as you age.
Aftercare and recovery tips:
- Avoid blowing your nose for at least two weeks after surgery.
- Keep your head elevated and put an extra pillow below your head when you lay down for the first few days.
- Avoid lifting heavy objects or bending down as this will cause increased blood flow to the head.
- Avoid strenuous exercise and sports.
- Have baths rather than showers while bandages and splints are in place, and avoid hot baths as they may increase bleeding
- Follow a fiber-rich diet to avoid post-operation constipation.
- Avoid excessive facial expressions as they may strain the nose area.
- Avoid sexual intercourse for at least two weeks.
- Avoid dusty and smoky places or any other things that may trigger sneezing and breathing difficulties.
- Glasses may need to be taped to the head rather than rested on the nose for your comfort during the healing process.
- Brush your teeth gently while moving your upper lip as little as possible!
After a few weeks, you will feel less discomfort and can be less precautious as your nose continues to heal. Following the aftercare advice is very important and will be worth it when you see the amazing, healed results of your nose surgery!
Schedule your rhinoplasty consultation today at one of our centers
Rhinoplasty is a complicated procedure that requires a highly skilled facial plastic surgeon because each nose is unique. Therefore, Novomed Centers have only the most qualified and experienced facial plastic surgeons who have performed rhinoplasty surgeries for decades.
The best way to determine if cosmetic surgery is right for you is by scheduling a consultation with one of our experts at Novomed.
If you want to know more about Rhinoplasty or to book an appointment with our Plastic Surgeons, call us toll-free on 800 (NOVO) 6686 or click the live chat icon at the bottom of the screen.