Novomed’s cardiologists serve patients with heart conditions including arrhythmia (abnormal rhythms), coronary artery disease, problems related to valves, congestive heart failure and more. They also help patients to minimize, manage, or eradicate factors that put them at risk for heart disease, for example, high blood pressure and high cholesterol. Cardiologists play an essential role in evaluating patients, prescribing medicine and working closely with other specialists who are part of an overall treatment plan.
Our cardiologists diagnose, treat and coordinate care for their patients with doctors and surgeons who specialize in all types of cardiac conditions and the underlying health challenges that can affect heart health. As with all Novomed Specialized Clinics’ services, our cardiologists take a patient-centered approach and will work with you to ensure you understand the various tests, procedures and terms. Whether it’s a matter of preventing or managing a heart condition, they will create an appropriate, personalized program for you. Our aim is to place Novomed at the heart of Dubai’s cardiac care.
Screening tests are recommended for those who are at high risk of developing heart disease. This includes patients who have high blood pressure, high cholesterol levels, or diabetes, as well as those who are obese, smoke or have a familial history of heart problems.
At Novomed in Dubai, we can offer a range of screening tests, including:
- CT angiogram – this is a quick and painless procedure using the latest CT scanner to capture precise pictures while exposing you to the least radiation possible.
- Lipid profiling – we use a panel of blood tests to measure the levels of cholesterol and triglyceride in the blood. High levels of total cholesterol correlate with an increased risk of developing heart disease, as the cholesterol will form fatty deposits on the artery walls, hindering blood flow.
- Fasting blood sugar – sugar levels in the blood are measured after an overnight fast. Excess sugars can accumulate on the blood vessel walls, causing hardening of the arteries (atherosclerosis), this increases the risk of serious cardiac events occurring.
- Thyroid function – hypothyroidism (reduced activity of the thyroid gland) can cause a rise in cholesterol levels, hardening of the artery walls and an in increase in fluid around the heart.
- Electrocardiogram (ECG) – assesses the electrical activity of the heart. This test will provide information on the overall health of the heart by assessing structure and function. It can detect previous and current heart attacks.
- Exercise stress test – patient will be asked to walk or run on a treadmill, whilst undergoing an ECG. As the heart will be working harder it will require an increase in oxygen, thus should pump more blood. The test will identify any shortfalls in blood supply.
Screening tests can save lives. With heart disease, prevention is always better than cure. Early detection means a comprehensive screening and monitoring plan can be instigated and the chances of a serious medical problem at a later date are reduced.
If you have any concerns make an appointment with our experienced specialist today.