Gummy Smile Treatment in Dubai, Abu Dhabi and Al Ain
A healthy smile goes beyond straight white teeth; The size of the gums can affect the overall appearance of a smile. Having noticeably large gums is a common, and treatable condition, known as gummy smile. Learn more about gummy smiles, their causes, and treatment options.
What is a gummy smile?
A gummy smile occurs when the gums extend over the teeth, making the gums the focus of the smile. It can also cause teeth to appear smaller than usual. The diagnosis of a “gummy smile” can vary from patient to patient and is related to how that person feels about their smile. Gummy smile treatment is done for purely cosmetic reasons. What is considered a beautiful smile can be subjective from person to person, and trends are changing over time. However, only 4 mm of gums exposed is considered to be aesthetically pleasing.
What causes a gummy smile?
The following factors can cause the appearance of a gummy smile:
- The gums: Excess gum tissue can protrude and exceed its defined line.
- The teeth: The size and shape of the teeth can also contribute to the appearance of a gum smile. If teeth shape makes them look hidden, the gums will appear larger than they are.
- The jaw: The vertical position of your jaw can affect the appearance of your smile.
- The lips: When the upper lip is very short, it causes the gums to widen; Likewise, if the lip pulls back more than usual, it can result in a gummy smile.
What are the downsides?
A person with a gummy smile may feel self-conscious about the way they talk or smile, and this can negatively affect a person’s self-esteem. In general, a person looking for a treatment for a gummy smile is likely looking to achieve the best possible smile to look and feel better.
What are the treatment options for a gummy smile?
The first step towards treating a gummy smile is to determine its cause. Moreover, the treatment also depends on the severity of the problem. Some of the common treatments include the following:
- Lip repositioning: If lips are causing the issue, they can be modified through various cosmetic procedures to cover a larger part of the gums.
- Laser treatment: This is a popular option for patients when gum tissue is the problem.
- Braces: The appearance of a gummy smile can be reduced by realigning a person’s teeth.
- Surgery: The gums and the bone attached to them can be “sculpted” to reduce the appearance of a gummy smile.
If you suffer from a gummy smile, you can consult our dental professionals at Novomed to determine the cause and possible treatment.