Bunion Treatment in Novomed
What is a bunion?
A bunion, also known as hallux valgus, is a bony bump that protrudes at the base of the big toe. This condition can be painful, especially when wearing shoes or walking.
Bunions are the most common bone deformity affecting the front of the foot and are more common in women than in men. Your risk of developing a bunion increase as you get older.
In most cases, custom-made footwear is all that is needed to relieve the symptoms of bunions, but in some cases, a surgical procedure may be necessary to fix the problem.
What are the causes of bunions?
- Birth deformities
- Conditions that cause joint swelling and pain, such as rheumatoid arthritis
- Shoes that don’t fit well, especially if they cramp the toes.
- Foot injuries
What are the symptoms of bunions?
- Pain at the base of the big toe that increases when walking or running
- Redness, soreness and swelling of the joint
- Changes to the shape of the foot
- Calloused and red skin between the first and second toes
- Treatment of bunions
During your consultation, our orthopedic will perform a physical exam and may also request an x-ray to check bone alignment and the extent of joint damage.
Novomed offers several treatment options to manage and treat bunions, and our specialist will develop a treatment plan tailored to suit your condition. Our treatments include:
- Orthotic devices. Adding extra cushioning to your shoes using custom-made bunion pads can help relieve pain in the joint and control alignment issues. Moreover, you can use a spacer between the big toe and second toe and wear a splint at night to keep the toes straight.
- Pain medications. Oral and topical nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs can be used to help with pain and swelling.
- Physiotherapy. Our physiotherapist can help you reduce pain associated with bunions through specific exercises designed to improve muscle strength around the affected joint and improve toes alignment.
- Bunion Surgery. Bunion surgery can help restore the function and normal appearance of the big toe. At Novomed, our orthopedic surgeons perform bunion surgery using the minimally invasive keyhole technique, which provides several benefits compared to open surgery, including minimal scarring, faster recovery and return to normal activities.
To learn more about our Bunion Treatments in Dubai or book a consultation, call us toll-free on 8006686 or click the live chat icon at the bottom of the screen.