An inexpensive procedure in comparison to alternatives producing similar great results.
What is Mini Gastric Bypass Surgery?
The Mini-Gastric Bypass procedure is a simple, short, successful and inexpensive technique in gastric surgery. The operation usually takes less than 60 minutes and the hospital stay is usually less than 1 day. With excellent long term weight loss, minimal pain and the option for reversal or revision should the need ever occur, it’s not surprising that people from all across the world are choosing the Mini-Gastric Bypass as their Laparoscopic Gastric Bypass procedure over other types of weight loss surgery. Dr Robert Rutledge from the USA first developed the mini gastric bypass procedure in 1997, as a modification of the standard Billroth II procedure.
- Access to abdominal cavity: 5 small (1 inch) incisions on the abdominal wall to allow the insertion of access ports. Instruments are then passed through the various ports to complete the operation.
- Creation of the Mini-Stomach: The stomach is divided into 2 parts. One part, a long narrow tube that will serve as your new “mini-stomach”. The second part is the larger remaining part of your stomach which remains alive and well, but is now “de-functionalized”, that is to say, it no longer receives or processes food.
- Bypass of the small intestine: The length of small intestine bypassed varies from patient to patient, usually ranging from 3 to 7 feet. The actual length of intestine bypassed will be determined by your surgeon on multiple factors including your height and weight, your weight loss expectations, and a careful review of the risks and benefits of a Shorter vs. Longer Bypass.
- Connection of intestine to pouch: The small intestine is connected to the pouch creating the “bypass”. This can be done many different ways but most commonly is with a combination of staples and sutures.
- Removal of ports and closure of skin incisions: Upon completion of the operation, all instruments and ports are removed and the 5 small skin incisions are closed with skin closure staples.
Weight Loss Surgery Results May Vary: Causes for being overweight or obese vary from person to person.
THE TONIC CONSULTATION
FOR BOTH WEIGHT LOSS SURGERY & COSMETIC SURGERY IN DUBAI
At our Dubai weight loss and cosmetic surgery clinic we offer a bespoke service to all of our patients – this is because all our patients are unique in their own way and they are likely to have different needs and requirements.
When you book a specialist consultation with one of our bariatric or cosmetic surgeons we will arrange a pre-consultation check in with you. This is where our surgeon will get in touch with you prior to your in-house consultation and go through the details of the operation you are considering to ensure that:
- You are a suitable candidate for the surgery.
- The procedure you are considering is the correct one for you.
- Your medical history is within expectations.
- To discover if any concerns are preventing you from undergoing the operation.
- You have a chance to feel at ease with the surgeon before you attend your in-house consultation – we are fully aware of how daunting this can be.