Kidneys play a vital role in your body’s overall functioning by filtering waste products and excess fluids from the bloodstream, maintaining an electrolyte balance and removing toxins through urine. Acute kidney failure, a medical emergency also termed Acute Kidney Injury (AKI) or Renal Failure, is a sudden deterioration in kidney function resulting in the kidney’s incapability to separate waste matter and surplus fluids from your blood.
Acute kidney failure is a critical condition that can develop rapidly within days, requiring immediate evaluation and treatment. At Novomed, we prioritize the well-being of our patients and offer comprehensive care for their treatment. Our expert urologists in Abu Dhabi will provide you with personalized care that involves advanced diagnostic tests and evidence-based treatment options to improve the function of your kidneys and promote your overall health.
Symptoms of Acute Kidney Failure
Since acute kidney failure develops rapidly, recognizing the symptoms early and seeking immediate medical attention is crucial for a timely diagnosis and effective treatment. Depending on how severe the condition is, the signs and symptoms can differ, and they may be linked to other diseases. Patients with acute kidney failure can potentially experience:
- Discomfort or pressure in the chest
- Weariness and lack of strength
- Inflammation of legs, ankles and feet (edema)
- Decreased urine output or no urine output
- Labored breathing
- Seizures/spasms or coma (in critical cases)
- Persistent itching
- Perplexity or difficulty in concentrating
- Nausea and vomiting
Causes of Acute Kidney Failure
Understanding the underlying cause is essential in devising an effective treatment plan and preventing further kidney damage. The most common triggers that can cause acute kidney failure include:
1. Kidney Damage due to Reduced Blood Flow causes:
- Severe dehydration leading to Hypovolemia.
- Low blood pressure (hypotension).
- A shock from various causes (septic shock, cardiogenic shock), Heart failure or heart attack.
- Severe burns or injuries lead to decreased blood flow to the kidneys.
2. Kidney Damage due to Medications or Toxins:
- Some medications, for example, non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), certain antibiotics, and certain blood pressure medications.
- The use of intravenous contrast dye in some imaging tests.
- Illicit drug use or exposure to certain toxins or poisons.
3. Kidney Damage due to Urinary Tract Obstruction:
- Kidney stones blocking the flow of urine.
- Bladder or Cervical cancer.
- An enlarged prostate gland (in men) hinders urine flow, causing tumors or cancers in the urinary tract.
4. Infections and Inflammatory Conditions:
- Severe infections, like sepsis or urinary tract infections (UTIs), Autoimmune diseases affecting the kidneys, such as vasculitis or lupus.
5. Blood Clots or Blood Vessel Disorders:
- Blood clots in the vessels that provide the kidneys with blood (renal vein thrombosis).
- Disorders affecting blood vessels, like thrombotic microangiopathies.
6. Pregnancy-Related Conditions:
- Preeclampsia is a pregnancy-related condition causing high blood pressure and kidney damage.
- HELLP syndrome; a severe liver and blood clotting disorder in pregnancy.
7. Muscle Breakdown (Rhabdomyolysis):
- Severe muscle injury or breakdown due to trauma or crush injuries
Complications Caused by Acute Kidney Failure
If acute kidney failure is not addressed effectively, it can cause multiple complications that can influence various organ systems. Several of the difficulties caused by acute kidney failure are:
- Fluid and Electrolyte Imbalance
- Metabolic Acidosis
- Pulmonary Edema
- Uremic Syndrome
- Cardiovascular Complications
- Platelet Dysfunction and Bleeding Tendency
- Decreased Immune Response
- Bone Health Impairment
- Neurological Issues
- Increased Mortality Risk
Diagnosis and Treatment of Acute Kidney Failure at Novomed Abu Dhabi
At Novomed Abu Dhabi, our expert team of healthcare professionals employ state-of-the-art diagnostic tools and techniques to assess kidney function and identify the root cause of acute kidney failure. Blood tests, urine analysis, imaging studies, and a comprehensive medical history review are part of the thorough evaluation process.
Treatment options to aid kidney recovery and prevent complications include dietary adjustments, such as a high-carbohydrate, low-protein, low-salt, and low-potassium diet. Medications like antibiotics and diuretics may be prescribed to manage infections and excess fluid in the blood. In severe cases, dialysis may be necessary to remove toxins from the body. Dialysis involves using a machine to filter the blood through an artificial kidney, ensuring the return of clean blood to the body.
Book Your Appointment at Novomed Today!
Acute kidney failure demands prompt and expert care to ensure positive outcomes and prevent complications. At Novomed, our commitment to providing comprehensive treatment and personalized care for patients with acute kidney failure sets us apart as the best provider of urology services in Abu Dhabi. If you are experiencing signs of sudden kidney failure, book an appointment now with one of our proficient urologists in Abu Dhabi by calling 8006686, filling the online booking form or clicking the chat icon at the bottom of the screen.