Hematuria, the presence of blood in urine, can be an alarming and distressing symptom. While it may not always indicate a severe condition, it should never be ignored. At Novomed Urology Clinic in Abu Dhabi, our specialists offer comprehensive tests to assess the critical aspects of Hematuria, including its causes and symptoms, and provide personalized treatment plan to treat the underlying cause of the condition.
When blood is present in urine, it makes it appear pink, red, or cola colored. The condition is called hematuria and can be categorized into two types:
- Gross Hematuria: In this type, the presence of blood is visible to the naked eye as urine’s color is distinctly altered.
- Microscopic Hematuria: In this case, blood in urine is not visible and can only be detected through urine tests.
The source of blood in your urine may be your kidneys, which create urine, or other parts of the urinary tract, for instance:
- Ureters/ Urinary tubes (The channels connecting your kidneys to your bladder)
- Bladder (urine storage)
- Urethra (the tube running from your bladder to the outside of your body)
Causes of Hematuria
Hematuria can be caused by various factors, including:
- Urinary Tract Infections (UTIs): Bacterial infections in the urinary tract that cause inflammation and bleeding.
- Kidney Stones: Stones and salts in the kidneys or urinary tract can cause bleeding when passed.
- Enlarged Prostate: In men, an enlarged prostate gland can cause Hematuria due to pressure on the urethra.
- Kidney Infections: Infections affecting the kidneys can result in Hematuria.
- Bladder Infections: Bacterial infections in the bladder can cause irritation and bleeding.
- Medications: Medications like blood thinners can cause Hematuria as a side effect. Taking Phenazopyridine (Pyridium) or using laxatives with senna, Sulfasalazine (Azulfidine), an anti-inflammatory, and certain chemotherapy drugs can result in orange-colored urine.
Symptoms of Hematuria
Apart from the apparent discoloration of urine, other symptoms associated with Hematuria may include:
- Frequent urge to urinate.
- Pain or burning sensation during urination.
- Abdominal or lower back pain.
- Fever and chills (in case of infections).
- Nausea or vomiting (in severe cases).
Diagnosis of Hematuria
When a patient presents with Hematuria, a comprehensive diagnostic approach is essential. The following steps are typically involved:
- Medical Records and Physical Evaluation: The doctor will inquire about the patient’s medical history and perform a physical examination.
- Urinalysis: A urine sample will be analyzed to check for the presence of blood and other abnormalities.
- Imaging Tests: Imaging techniques such as ultrasound, CT scan, or MRI may be used to view the urinary tract and detect any possible problems.
- Cystoscopy: A cystoscope comprising a flexible tube with a camera may be inserted into the urethra to inspect the bladder and urethra in certain instances.
The treatment of Hematuria depends on its underlying cause. Some common approaches include:
- Antibiotics: If the root of the issue is a urinary tract infection, antibiotics will be administered to treat the condition.
- Pain Management: Pain relievers may be given to alleviate discomfort associated with Hematuria.
- Kidney Stone Removal: Small stones may pass naturally in cases of kidney stones, while larger ones may require medical intervention.
- Prostate Treatment: Medication or surgery may be recommended for men with an enlarged prostate.
- Cancer Treatment: If Hematuria is linked to urinary tract cancers, the appropriate treatment plan, such as surgery, radiation, or chemotherapy, will be pursued.
Novomed Urology Clinic in Abu Dhabi is a leading medical facility that offers specialized expertise in treating Hematuria. We are dedicated to providing comprehensive care that meets the individual requirements of each patient, with the support of a team of experienced urologists and state-of-the-art facilities.
Book Your Appointment at Novomed Today!
Hematuria can be a concerning symptom, and early detection and appropriate treatment are crucial for positive outcomes. Remember that seeking timely medical attention is essential if you notice blood in your urine or experience any related symptoms.
For expert evaluation and personalized treatment plans for Hematuria, schedule a consultation with one of our expert urologists in Abu Dhabi by calling 8006686, filling out the booking form or clicking the chat icon at the bottom of the scree.