Knee pain is a common problem that develops with aging and the wear and tear of cartilages, bones, and ligaments from regular activities, including walking, standing, and lifting.
If your knee pain is interfering with your ability to perform daily tasks and affecting your quality of life, consult one of our orthopedic specialists in Dubai or Al Ain to receive a personalized treatment plan that suits your needs.
What are the common causes of knee pain?
Besides aging, wear and tear, and frequent stress on the knee joint, knee problems can result from an injury or a sudden movement that strains the knee. Common knee problems are:
- Knee ligaments sprain or strain. A blow to the knee or a sudden twist can cause a sprained or strained knee ligament or muscle and is often associated with pain, swelling, and movement difficulty.
- Torn cartilage. Trauma to the knee can tear the cartilage that acts as a shock absorber and enhances stability. Treatment of torn cartilage may involve wearing a brace to protect the knee from further injury, and you may need surgery to repair the tear.
- Tendonitis. A tendon Inflammation is usually triggered by the overuse of the tendon during activities such as running, jumping, or cycling.
- Arthritis. Osteoarthritis is a degenerative disease where the cartilage in the joint gradually wears away. It often affects middle-aged and older people. Osteoarthritis is usually caused by excess stress on the knee joint or obesity. Rheumatoid arthritis affects the knees by causing joint inflammation and destroying the knee cartilage.
When should I see a doctor if I have a knee pain?
Knee pain caused by strenuous activities can develop slowly and improve within a few days with self-care measures, such as resting, over-the-counter pain medications, applying ice packs, exercising to strengthen muscles around the joint, and avoiding strenuous activities.
You should consult a doctor if your knee pain was caused by a trauma or is not improving after a few days of home treatment, and you have symptoms like redness, fever, swelling, severe pain, and tenderness around the joint.
If your knee pain is caused by an injury and is accompanied by a popping sound at the time of the injury, joint deformity, or inability to move the affected leg, you should seek immediate medical attention.
What are the most common knee surgeries?
- Arthroscopic surgery. It involves using a small camera and long, narrow tools placed through a few small incisions around your knee to repair joint damage.
- Knee replacement surgery. It involves replacing the damaged bone and cartilage of your knee with a knee prosthetic made of metal and plastic.
- Osteotomy. It involves removing bone from the thighbone or shinbone to better straighten the knee.
Schedule your appointment at Novomed today!
If you are experiencing pain in your knee, make an appointment with one of our highly qualified orthopedic doctors to learn more about your condition and treatment options.
Book your consultation today by calling toll-free 8006686, filling out the booking form, or clicking the live chat icon at the bottom of the screen.