Spine, neck, and back pain can affect anyone and range from minor to severe. Most back and neck pain cases resolve after a short period, but the persistent ones that last for months or years are referred to as chronic pain.
Pain in the back and neck can restrict your range of motion and ability to move around and do daily tasks, and if left untreated, the pain will worsen and spread. So, if you are experiencing persistent back or neck pain, make an appointment with one of our orthopedic specialists in Dubai or Al Ain. They will work with you to determine the best and most effective treatment approach to reduce pain, increase mobility and help you regain your ability to do your routine activities.
What are the causes of neck and back pain?
Back, neck, and spine discomfort can be caused by various factors, including:
- Infection, diseases, and tumors
- Having a herniated disc.
- Degenerative disc disease that affects the spinal discs and causes lower back pain
- Overuse and strenuous activities.
- Muscle strains and spasms.
- Ligament and muscle tears.
- Vertebral degeneration due to muscle and ligament strain or aging.
- Osteoporosis or arthritis.
- Being overweight or obese.
What are the symptoms of neck and back pain?
Pain in the neck and back can be very debleating as it can restrict movement and spread to arms and legs. The most common symptoms are:
- Mild, moderate, or severe pain in the back or neck that can permeate to other areas
- Pain, numbness, or tingling sensation in the lower extremities
- Stiffness along the spine and lower back, especially when sitting for long periods.
- Sharp or shooting pain in the lower back that permeates down the buttocks and legs
- Pain and stiffness in the neck
How is neck or back pain treated?
There are several things you can do at home to improve your spine, neck, or back pain, including getting plenty of rest, stretching, taking over-the-counter pain medication such as ibuprofen, and applying hot or cold packs to the affected area.
If you have chronic pain or stiffness, you may need to visit an orthopedic to help manage the pain with a medical treatment plan, which may include anti-inflammatory medications and steroids injections to relax your muscles, promote mobility, or reduce the inflammation of a compressed nerve.
Your doctor may recommend surgery if non-surgical treatments have failed and your pain is impairing your ability to function and perform your usual activities.
Surgery to decompress pressure on a nerve root caused by a herniated disc or bone spur is the most common procedure to alleviate neck or back pain. Other surgeries include spinal Fusion to remove soft tissue between vertebral bones and replace it with bone or metal, causing the two bones to fuse over time to form one long bone or replacing a damaged or degenerated disc with an artificial disc.
Schedule your appointment at Novomed today!
If you are experiencing pain in your spine, neck, or back, make an appointment with one of our highly qualified orthopedic specialists in Dubai or Al Ain to learn more about your condition and treatment options.
To book an appointment or for more information about our Neck Pain and Back Pain Treatment, call us toll-free on 800 (NOVO) 6686 or click the live chat icon at the bottom of the screen.